If your National Identification Card (ID card) has expired OR will soon expire, you need to make an appointment to renew.

Persons sixty years and over can walk in to their respective Registration Area Office, without an appointment, during the week, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to renew their expired ID cards. All renewal transactions after 10:00 a.m. will require an appointment. 


The Sunday “walk-in” service for persons sixty years and over ended on March 28, 2021.

What is required:

Persons are required to make an appointment through the EBC’s Call Centre to renew your expired or as previously stated, if your ID card is about to expire, you will need to make an appointment. The contact numbers for our Call Centre can be found HERE.

What you need to take to your appointment:

  1. Please take the expired ID card to the Registration Area office in the district where you reside.
  2. If your name has changed, provide documentary evidence such as a Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll.
  3. Provide precise and reliable information on the location of your new address if you have changed address since your last transaction.
  4. Please take your electronic Birth Certificate and a copy of this document to your appointment.
  5. Optional documents to take with you to your appointment are proof of NIS and proof of Blood Type for persons who wish to put their blood type on their ID card.

The validity of all national identification cards issued by the Commission, which are currently expired, will now be valid until December 31st, 2021. For the details of this extension, please see this Press Release.

Persons who are physically incapacitated can make a request to the Registration Officer of the Registration Area in which they reside to have the transaction effected at home in accordance with Registration Rule No.8(3).

Be prepared to be photographed for the new card.

Replacement of Lost, Stolen or Damaged Identification Card

Report to any police station that the card was lost or stolen

Visit the Registration Area Office where you live to be interviewed and issued with Form A-71 and a voucher. The Form is used to make a declaration, in the presence of a Commissioner of Affidavits, that the card was lost. The voucher is used to pay a fee of $10.00 for a first replacement or $20.00 for a second replacement, at a District Revenue Office nearest to you.

The Form, stamped and signed by the Commissioner of Affidavits, together with the voucher and receipt issued by the Revenue Officer, are then taken back to the Registration Office for processing and replacement of the ID card.

(iv)Thereafter, a letter will be issued by the Registration Office to collect the card.

With respect to a mutilated card, the declaration will be required only if the remains of the card cannot be produced. Also see new security feature on National Identification Card.

Change of Address

In accordance with Section 43 and 44 of the Representation of the People Act under the Registration Rules Registered persons who change their residential address either within a Registration Area or from one Registration Area to another are required to notify the appropriate Registration Officer accordingly. It is critical that registrants discharge this responsibility, since, apart from assisting the Commission in its ongoing efforts to maintain an accurate register of electors, it also ensures that electors are placed in the correct polling division/electoral district. This transaction does not necessitate the issue of a new Identification (ID) Card.

Change of Name

Registered persons who change their names, primarily by marriage or Deed Poll, should notify their Registration Officer, so that the Commission’s records can be updated and a new I.D card bearing the registrant’s new name issued. The ID card bearing the name which has been changed is required to be surrendered.